Hull stress monitoring system is for bulk carrier of 20,000 DWT & above. Consideration is also given for fitting these system to other type of ships.
1) Hardware and software of hull stress monitoring system to be approved by the administration.
2) Provisions are also given for hull stress monitoring system to be compatiable with Voyage data recorder fitted and all monitored data can be transmitted to voyagedata recorder.
1) Longitudinal based gauges are provided for strain measurement, Located on main deck at different positions along the ships length, to detect stresses during loading, unloading and navigation.
2) one accelerometer for measuring verticle acceleration at the bow.
3) Two accelerometer for measuring roll and sway, suitably located at the center line of the ship.
4) other sensors include microprocessor, display and data storage terminal.
what sensor information can provide us?
1) The strain gauges on main deck, taking due account of temperature effects are to give information on stress levels during navigation, loading and unloading.
They are to give information on wave induced stresses and the mean value of still water stresses. By analysing an offset to the mean value, an indication to the water ingress to holds can be provided,
2) The signals from the accelerometer are to describe the verticle and transverse motion of the ship. By analysing the frequency ranges of the signal from the verticle gauge, slamming information can be provided.